I came across the site futureme.org when I was teaching English in Spain because I thought it would be a fun final activity. What I should have done was start with it so that the students could receive their e-mail at the end and laugh or say “wow” or whatever. Basically you compose an e-mail to yourself and send it to the “future” and it has to be at least 6 months into the future (I think). I’ve done it a handful of times now and it’s always a nice little surprise in my inbox. Especially nice to have a break from unsubscribing from Banana Republic and UDems, which I wasn’t even really in, but now I’m permanently on their mailing list. DEM4LYFE.
I just wanted to share 99% of what I wrote. I only changed one percent to just take out a name and like one other touchy thing…
Hey, you just got a letter today from March- talking about breaking up….living at home…all of the very difficult times you went through last year. Right now there is a light at the end of the tunnel in ALL senses of that phrase.
1. Surgery is done and recovery is going well. Aside from having numb chin and lips, can’t complain. Hopefully when you read this you are like wtf, I can feel everything on my face yay.
2. Braces for only 3-4 more months (maybe less?!?!) Last time I had an appointment he said around 3 months, but again that was 6 weeks ago. I have one Jan 5th and I hope he can give me more of an idea of that date. PLZZZ BE SOON!
3. Moving to wicker park! I’m so excited. It’s taken me literally an entire year to get to this point. I stayed after the break up and then I just kept staying during my surgery. Now I can finally be independent as fuck. yes. yes yes.
4. Teaching is great this year. Not getting observed has really calmed me down a LOT. I also have pretty nice classes and I’m not completely clueless about what I’m doing. Thank goodness.
I can also see myself staying …… longer than I originally anticipated. I thought I’d do my 4 years and be so ready to fly out of here but the more time passes by it seems pretty easy to just stay a little longer. Get my loans forgiven. Do a really good job. I think I will move on eventually, but closer to year 10 than year 5? We shall see future me.
5. Hope you’re still eating healthy as fuck. I’m having a smoothie right now that’s like fruits protein powder, flax etc…all that good stuff. Keep it up.
Wonder if you’re still single? Obviously haven’t talked to any boys since…… so that’s a pretty long dry spell. You are so ready to get out there if you aren’t already. Go on a date with like literally anyone. Why not. A bartender, a clown, a baker, just not a bum or a jerk lord.
All right I came to school to grade. You are on summer break now you lucky betch. Hope you’re enjoying it!
So man that last paragraph had me in tears. Just not a jerk lord. Those are my standards. And yes, I decided to eat healthy AF this morning so I’m having yogurt with berries. Thanks past me for that reminder.
In the meantime….